Dec 11th, 2020
David and Josh (@Josh_Moon) open with the latest on COVID and the criminal inaction by Republican leadership to mitigate the spread.
Camille Bennett of Project Say Something stops by to discuss her group's progress in North Alabama and problems with Secretary of State John Merrill.
We close this week with a lengthy discussion with the Montgomery Advertiser's Brian Lyman about their Confederate Reckoning project and the whitewashing of Alabama textbooks, and there's a Rightwing Nut of the Week in there too.
- Camille Bennet, Project Say Something (@staywokesouth)
- Brian Lyman, Montgomery Advertiser (@lyman_brian)
Reading list and resources:
- "Southern schools' history textbooks: A long history of deception, and what the future holds" — Brian Lyman, Montgomery Advertiser
- "Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution" — Eric Foner
- Books by the slavery scholar Ira Berlin
- "Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives" — Library of Congress
- Alabama Department of Archives and History
- "Great Negroes: Past and Present" — Russel L. Adams
- "At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance" — Danielle L. McGuire
- "Trouble in Mind: Black Southerners in the Age of Jim Crow" — Leon Litwack
- "DOJ sues Alabama over violence, 'unconstitutional' conditions in state prisons" — Eddie Burkhalter, Alabama Political Reporter
We link to Amazon but consider buying from a local bookseller.
APW is a weekly Alabama political podcast hosted by Josh Moon and David Person, two longtime Alabama political journalists. More information is available on our website. Listen anywhere you get your podcasts. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.